Thursday, November 9, 2017
Friday, November 3, 2017
Friday, October 27, 2017
Friday, October 13, 2017
We've had a really good week with band so far. Most of the kiddos remembered their instruments which is hard after a break. If your child is having a hard time remembering on their day, try having them set a reminder on their device (if they have one), or on your phone.
Next week I will be bringing some small prizes to in school practice that they can buy with their band bucks. I will also auction off a few bigger prizes at after school band next week. I will do this several times this year, so if they don't have enough yet, they can just keep saving.
When they practice at home, have them write their practice minutes down on the chart in their book; this will earn them 5 bucks for every 15 minutes. I tried to pass out note flash cards to all first years this week. Doing flash cards can count as practice minutes too.
I'm really enjoying working with these students this year. Please keep encouraging them to practice and to bring their instruments on the correct day.
Have a great weekend!
Friday, September 22, 2017
- 1st year band is off to a great start. The students know three pitches and can play songs with half notes and wholes notes. Everyone should be on at least page 7. A good amount of time them to be practicing at this point is 15 minutes a few times a week. I know that not everyone is going to be able to practice at home, but the more frequently they are able to, the faster everyone will progress.
- 2nd year band is off to a great start. We have reviewed what we did last year and we are working on Jingle Bells on Page 12 and "We Three Kings" (sheet music), we will probably be getting a third song soon. A good amount of time for them to be practicing this year is 15-20 minutes at a time a few times a week. I understand that this is not always possible but if they can practice a little here and there it will help us progress faster as a group.
- I have started passing out "band bucks." Students can use these to buy prizes at auctions that we will have periodically. They can earn bucks by writing their practice minutes on the chart in the front of their book, passing off songs in the book, or answering questions correctly.
- If you need to order supplies, just let me know what you need and send the money to school with your child. If you write a check for supplies, it should be made to Graves County Band Boosters. Here are the prices for common items:
- Stand = $15
- Cleaning Kit =$16
- Valve/slide oil =$1
- Our High School Band is hosting a marching band contest starting at 5:45 PM Saturday evening at the high school football stadium. Several excellent bands from our area will be performing their marching shows and competing. This is a great family-friendly show and tickets are only $5. All proceeds go to support the Graves County High School Band. I hope you can join us for us contest Saturday evening.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
This is the information for NEW band members for the 2017-18 school year. 2nd year students will receive a blue folder with information. 1st year parents please read below.
270-293-9523 email@example.com -- E-mail www.shelbybandblog.blogspot.com – Elementary Band Blog
Time to sign up for Band!!!
Who: 5th and 6th grade students and parentsWhat: Graves County Elementary parent meeting and instrument rental When: Tuesday, August 22nd at 5:30 PM Where: Graves County Middle School band room
Greetings 5th and 6th grade parents and students,
This year your child has the opportunity to sign up for band!
If your child would like to be a part of the band, fill-out the form attached to this letter. I will come to your child’s school and test your child out on flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone. Your child and I will select the one that suits them best and then you can come to the instrument rental night to get their instrument.
This year we will be starting with these basic four instruments. If your child sticks with band, they will have the opportunity to switch to oboe, bassoon, saxophone, French horn, baritone, tuba, or percussion (drums.) I will start selecting the students who will be allowed to play drums after Christmas, and all of the other instruments can be switched to in middle school.
To sign up your child for the Graves County Elementary Band Program please fill out the attached sign up-form and have your child return it to the secretary at your child’s school by Friday, August 11th.
During the week of August 14th , I will meet with each child during the school day and test them out on the different instruments to see which one best fits them. I will send home information about which instrument they have selected.
To get their instrument, the parent and child should come to the instrument rental meeting on Tuesday, August 22nd at 6:30 PM. The meeting is in the GCMS Band room. (Enter through the bus loop side of the school.)
Rent-to-Own: A representative from Amro music will be present to discuss the rent-to-own process and pass out the instruments. Parents should be prepared to pay $60 at the meeting. Rental amount is $40 per month. If you rent from Amro you get:
· Music stand
· Cleaning supplies
You don’t have to use Amro but, if you choose to get an instrument from somewhere else, please check with me first so I can make sure the instrument is of good quality. I have had parents taken advantage of by e-bay sellers and discount stores. I want you to get your money’s worth.
Rent-from-school: We have a few school instruments available for students who need them. These are assigned on a first-come basis, so it is possible that a student may not get their first choice of instrument if they are using a school instrument. School instruments don’t come with stands and cleaning kits. Also, parents will assume responsibility for damage done to the instrument.
Parents who need to rent from school must call or email me before the rental meeting to reserve your child’s school instrument. To reserve a school owned instrument call 270-293-9523 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 8/18/17.
I strongly encourage for anyone who can to rent-to-own from Amro instead of renting from school.
Every band student needs to have at least one parent attend this meeting. If you can’t make it, please contact me to make other arrangements. If you have an instrument already that you plan on using, please bring it so that we can make sure it is in good working order. If you would like more information, or are unable to attend this meeting, please give me a call at 270-293-9523 or email email@example.com For more information about the elementary band program, go to www.shelbybandblog.blogspot.com . I am looking forward to meeting you and your student.
Sincerely, Ellis Shelby -- GCEB Director